What does ‘no makeup makeup’ even mean?
The concept behind ‘no makeup makeup’ is to put on makeup so you look like you haven’t really put much thought into it.
You Can Master the ‘No Makeup’ Makeup Look
There is time and care that goes into perfecting this dewy natural look paired with the right products of course. This concept is being referred to as ‘no makeup makeup’.
The ‘no makeup makeup’ look consists of playing up your features so that you shine through naturally without looking like you’re wearing a whole face full of makeup.
There are many products out there that are made for the specific ‘No makeup makeup’ look. It involves being natural and not too forceful in the placement of colour and definitely no heavy contouring.
I’ll provide some tips and tricks on how to master the look. The ‘no makeup makeup’ look is perfect for the summertime when you don’t want to apply a heavy routine.
Here are my top 5 ways to master the ‘no makeup makeup’ look:
- Choose a Sheer Base – There are makeup bases formulated for a sheer, even and build-able coverage. Examples of these products come from Mac with their ‘Face and Body’ and similar to that, Dior’s ‘Face and Body Foundation’. These foundations are water based and can be applied with the fingers or a beauty blender. They cover without going on cakey and don’t even feel like foundation. Check out my latest review of the best sheer foundations I recommend for summer time here. You can also find a ton of Sheer Foundation at Amazon.ca!
2. Cream Multi-Purpose Lip + Cheek – Less is more when it comes to ‘no makeup makeup’. Also, cream products melt into the skin and create a very natural glow vs. powder blush which can look very purposeful.
The idea is to use the fingers to create a flush look on the apples of the cheeks. Additionally, as I mentioned above that some of these products are dual there are many cream cheek products that can be used on the lips as well. The idea is to make your look not too forced but natural and sun-kissed looking.
My favourite product is the Milk Makeup Lip + Cheek (click here to purchase). I love it because it’s a two-fer! I throw it in my purse and I’m covered for the day!
3. Easy Eyebrows – If you’ve seen the latest from Benefit and most recently Milk Makeup, they focus on a spoolie inside a small bottle of product.
Gimme Brow from Benefit allows you to comb the eyebrows as you sweep in the direction of the growth. You can opt for a similar colour to your brows or you can go for a clear gel. Not only are these brow tools easy to apply but they define eyebrows without defining the shape too much. Remember – play up your natural features!
4. A Flash of Colour – The ‘no makeup makeup’ look does not involve a full smokey eyeshadow, rather it’s a quick pop of colour applied to the lids that goes to compliment the entire look. Likely a neutral or sheer shimmer to give the eyelids dimension.
A great recommendation is Glossier’s ‘Lid Star’ that comes in a variety of soft pastel colours perfect for that effortless look.
5. A pop of mascara – I know many don’t like to leave the house without mascara and that’s fine! But if you’re going for the ‘no makeup makeup’ look, be sure to use one light coat over your top lashes. Less is more with this look and with a simple pop of colour on the eye you won’t need a lot of mascara to enhance the lashes.
There you have 5 steps to a ‘no makeup makeup’ look. Of course, this isn’t an exact science so feel free to add some steps or leave them out. This look works for me and is my favourite to wear on the weekends when it’s hot out and I need to give my skin a teeny break. The Diorshow Waterproof Mascara is a great option because the no makeup makeup look is great for those hot summer days!
Feel free to share your own tips and tricks for mastering the ‘no makeup makeup’ looks.
That’s all from me! Be sure to follow me on Instagram for more awesome posts!